[GRASS-dev] font path question for Linux and Windows

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Apr 30 15:54:27 EDT 2007

On Apr 30, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Are any of the fonts normally in the /Library/Fonts directory of
> OSX NOT
> freetype? Would there be any problem with a non-freetype font
> sneaking into
> freetypecap beyond it simply not displaying?
>
> If the answer to these is generally negative, why not just grab all
> the
> fonts from /LibraryFonts (and maybe $HOME/Library/Fonts) for
> freetypecap and
> not worry about whether they have a .ttf extension or not.
>
> Michael

This is related to another font item that I hesitated to bring up
since the focus has been on TT fonts - postscript and opentype (which
are really just font packages for PS and TT) fonts.  Sure, assuming
all files are font files may be OK, and thus get all types of fonts
(PS and TT).  But with PS fonts, there are multiple files per font face.

On OSX there is the bitmap/suitcase that has the pre-made bitmaps for
certain sizes and references to all the faces, and then each face has
its own PS font file.  You normally reference a suitcase font from
the suitcase file and a face index or name, not the PS file (though
FT may be able to do that also, I don't know).  And on other
platforms PS fonts are usually split into individual faces, but can
also have more than one file per face - pfb/pfa, afm and possibly
others.

You would have to filter out the extras or you will get a mess of
duplicate or unusable fonts.

One possibility would be to test each font file found with freetype
calls, but this might add more time to the startup than simply
listing files, and I don't know if it could be done from a script -
mkftcap might need to be a C prog.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."

- Marvin