[GRASSGUI] Re: [GRASS-dev] numeric-numpy-scipy for graphs?

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Mon Apr 30 18:14:04 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 19:50 +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
> > > The one complication is changing window size. The GRASS command would
> > > need to be rerun and the graphic rendered. With the new PS driver, we
> > > might not be stuck with a rasterized version.
> >
> > just to throw something else out there: What if we had a SVG driver?
> >   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svg
>
> SVG is a viable alternative to PostScript.
>
> As it's orientated towards video graphics rather than hardcopy, it
> provides some features which PostScript doesn't. OTOH, some of those
> features (e.g. translucency) can't be realised in hardcopy (other than
> by rasterising everything and printing the resulting image, which
> effectively means lower resolution).
>
> My main concern with SVG is whether it is sufficiently mature.

Last I checked, PS is used by virtually every GIS company in existence.
I don't believe SVG is going to be any advantage over PS for those of us
who print posters, etc.  No reason to reinvent a perfectly functioning
wheel...we could use a few more PS enhancements (transparency
immediately comes to mind), however.

Most of us paid heavily for that PS support and extra memory on our
printer/plotters.  Might as well get some use out of them. ;-)

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785