[GRASS-dev] wxgrass intro screen and location wizard completed

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 14:51:30 EDT 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> This looks great and I have been wanting to try wxGRASS for some time
> now, however on my Gentoo linux system I have actually never been able
> to get wxPython to run.

I got it installed and working on Slackware 12.0 a couple of weeks ago.
Some info below.

> Maybe someone could help me clarify some issues.
>
> 1. I don't understand the relation between wxWindows, wxWidgets and
> wxPython. The wxWidgets site claims to have GUI libs with python
> support. If I install them, I get libs, header files and a config
> script called wx-config. That's OK. But why does the wxPython distro
> install those same files again? It also comes with a config script
> called wx-config and installs headers and include files in the same
> location as wxWidgets, even with the same names and same version
> numbers. I am confused ...

You just need to download the large 25MB or so file from wxPython and all
the other stuff comes with it. I suppose it gets complicated if you have a
different version of Wxwindows/wxwidgets installed already. Luckily I was
doing a clean installation.

> 2. The build and install instructions for wxPythons are a mess.
> From those two documents, I just can't seem to figure out how to
> make a global build and install from source. I manage to compile

I agree they are far more complicated than necessary. Seems like very
minimal effort has been put into making compilation and installation of
the package simple. FWIW, here are my (simplified) instructions which
worked for me:

Download combined Wxwidgets/Wxpython package from Wxpython website (approx. 25MB)
Untar and cd into WxwidgetsDir
mkdir bld
cd bld
../configure --enable-optimise --with-opengl
(If you don't enable OpenGL you get problems with the wxPython install later
as it seems to assume OpenGL is enabled...)
make
make -C contrib/src/gizmos
make -C contrib/src/stc
sudo make install
sudo make -C contrib/src/gizmos install
sudo make -C contrib/src/stc install
cd ../wxPython
Edit config.py to say WX_CONFIG = "wx-config" or else warnings about having
only one config environment seem to confuse the next bit
sudo python setup.py install

and that was it. Hope it is useful to someone - meant to post it earlier
but forgot, sorry.

Paul