[GRASS-dev] rename 'wxgrass'?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Aug 6 00:19:13 EDT 2007

We've been calling the wxPython interface to GRASS 'wxgrass' for the past 6
months or so. This is an informal reference and simply the name of the BASH
script used to start the GUI. We came up with this to do something different
from the current GUI init script "gis.m".

However, before we begin distributing this GUI with GRASS, I think we should
change the name of the script and how we reference this GUI. This past
spring, it came to my attention that Francisco Alonso, Universidad de
Murcia, has developed an application with a wxPython interface that
incorporates GRASS commands. He calls this wxGRASS. It has been presented at
a GIS conference in Spain and it's web site is here:
<http://www.um.es/geograf/sigmur/wxgrass/wxGRASS.html>.

It is a nice application with some good interface ideas. I and others have
been in contact with Francisco and exchanged information about our wxPython
interfaces. If time permits, he may even help with some of the GUI coding
eventually.

Since he has used the term wxGRASS first, I think we should use another name
our our GUI init script and informal reference to the wxPython interface for
GRASS so as not to cause confusion. I'm open to suggestions.

Here are some initial ideas I've had: wxpg, wxpgrass, grasswx, grassgui
(this could be the generic calling script for whatever is the current GRASS
GUI), wxgui, wxpgui.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity