[GRASS-dev] [grass-code I][455] r.proj segfaults after Jul 14 changes

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Aug 12 13:52:25 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-11 at 18:55 -0700, Hamish wrote:
> >> G_done_msg()
>
> Brad Douglas wrote:
> > I'm opposed to adding largely unnecessary code.  The console is NOT
> > designed for well laid out display.  It is there for informational
> > purposes only.  IMO, if you want pretty messages, use a GUI.
>

> A main reason for using G_done_msg() is that when run from a GUI it is not
> clear when the module has finished. Preferably the module's GUI output would
> print:
>
> [green check mark] "$MODULE complete."
>
> when the process has stopped but in the past (tcl gui) it was unclear how to do
> that.
>
> If the module is run from the command line the message is mostly redundant.
> Right now from the GUI you get output like:

> Processing ...
> Writing map ...
> n features cleaned
>
> But there really isn't any indication that the module is done.
>
> so really G_done_mgs() use is a sypmtom of a GUI shortcoming which is impinging
> onto other things.

What I meant by "G_done_msg () is not living up to it's intended use" is
that it should be re-implemented as a void function.  Allowing people to
add text to the string is causing too much confusion.

It would be much easier to re-declare as 'G_done_msg (void)' and append
it to modules that don't already use it to indicate completion.  IMO, it
should either be used everywhere or gotten rid of.

--
73, de Brad KB8UYR/6 <rez touchofmadness com>