[GRASS-dev] GRASS 6.3.0 release preparation

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sun Aug 12 18:12:32 EDT 2007

Paul Kelly wrote:

> >> I was just thinking, the Python GUI can probably be merged into the CVS
> >> HEAD after a release branch has been created for 6.4.x (probably won't be
> >> ready for that for at least a couple of months). Then there will be 6.5.x
> >> - we can probably start making other major changes there and release it
> >> eventually as 7.0? How does that sound?
> >
> > I'm disinclined towards the creation of 6.4/6.5 versions. I would
> > prefer to see stable = 6.3.x, dev = 7.0-cvs.
>
> But that breaks with our convention of having odd sub-versions (5.3, 6.1
> etc.) for incremental releases of "under-development" versions and even
> sub-versions (5.0, 5.4, 6.2 etc.) for releases of stable versions with
> incremental bugfixes.

We haven't actually put much effort into following this convention.

The 5.x numbering was somewhat screwed up by Radim arbitrarily picking
a version for his own private branch.

What has happened with 6.x so far is:

            6.0.0          6.1.0  6.2.0

where the horizontal line is the trunk and the vertical lines the
branches. IOW, we only started trying to follow the odd/even
convention after 6.1.0 (a year ago yesterday: 2006-08-11).

Personally, I'm not too concerned about how minor numbers are handled.
Just wake me up when there's a 7.x branch where wholesale demolition
and rebuilding can occur.