[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] trying to compile wxPython digitizer display_driver

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Aug 19 20:57:05 EDT 2007

Hey guys,

I worked out a setup.py script to build the display driver.  This
makes it easier to configure the installation of python and
wxpython.  I pulled bits from the MapServer and GDAL Python setup.py
scripts.

- no python version needed from configure for the makefile

- doesn't hardwire the compile/link flags or grass libs

- source compilation and linking is handled externally by python,
only the swig step must be handled by the GRASS makefile

A couple things to work out:

- the OSX wx-config script is buried in a non-standard location (lib/
wxPython-unicode-[version]/bin).  For now, add that to your path
before building the driver.  Eventually, it needs to be configured
with something like a --with-wxpython= option.

- installation - distutils builds in a subfolder, "build", with
platform subfolders from that.  The distutils install option knows
where to find this, but that installs in the python site-packages
folder.  If we want to keep the driver within the GRASS installation,
the makefile needs to figure out the platform folder to find it.  Or
there may be an option to setup.py to do this - I've only fiddled
with distutils and don't know all its capabilities.

- it's currently setup for grass_src/somefolder/gui/display_driver -
that is, 3 levels deep.  (this is for the MODULE_TOPDIR in the
makefile and a couple items in setup.py)  This should work with
grass_src/swig/python/display_driver, as you seem to have it Martin.
Or something like grass_src/gui/wx/display_driver.

Here are the files: