[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] trying to compile wxPython digitizer display_driver

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Aug 20 11:42:18 EDT 2007

Thanks William and Martin. I think this will be nice when it is all
together.

Martin,

I add an optional dialog to the map selection control, specifically with the
digitizer issues on Mac in mind. If you switch to that, using a button in
the digitizing toolbar to select a map instead of the combobox control, it
should display on a Mac.

Michael

On 8/20/07 4:18 AM, "Martin Landa" <landa.martin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> thanks for notes and scripts!! I will take a look at these files.
> Anyway I need to update the python code to enable this driver. I hope
> very soon available for testing.
>
> Martin
>
> 2007/8/20, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com>:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I worked out a setup.py script to build the display driver.  This
>> makes it easier to configure the installation of python and
>> wxpython.  I pulled bits from the MapServer and GDAL Python setup.py
>> scripts.
>>
>> - no python version needed from configure for the makefile
>>
>> - doesn't hardwire the compile/link flags or grass libs
>>
>> - source compilation and linking is handled externally by python,
>> only the swig step must be handled by the GRASS makefile
>>
>> A couple things to work out:
>>
>> - the OSX wx-config script is buried in a non-standard location (lib/
>> wxPython-unicode-[version]/bin).  For now, add that to your path
>> before building the driver.  Eventually, it needs to be configured
>> with something like a --with-wxpython= option.
>>
>> - installation - distutils builds in a subfolder, "build", with
>> platform subfolders from that.  The distutils install option knows
>> where to find this, but that installs in the python site-packages
>> folder.  If we want to keep the driver within the GRASS installation,
>> the makefile needs to figure out the platform folder to find it.  Or
>> there may be an option to setup.py to do this - I've only fiddled
>> with distutils and don't know all its capabilities.
>>
>> - it's currently setup for grass_src/somefolder/gui/display_driver -
>> that is, 3 levels deep.  (this is for the MODULE_TOPDIR in the
>> makefile and a couple items in setup.py)  This should work with
>> grass_src/swig/python/display_driver, as you seem to have it Martin.
>> Or something like grass_src/gui/wx/display_driver.
>>
>> Here are the files:
>>

>> (note: don't need makefile.in)
>>

>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> "Oh, look, I seem to have fallen down a deep, dark hole.  Now what
>> does that remind me of?  Ah, yes - life."
>>
>> - Marvin

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213