[GRASS-dev] trying to compile wxPython digitizer display_driver

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 04:45:28 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:
> With regard to swig, this adds a major new dependency to the wxPython GUI.
..
> Martin Landa is using it to create a display driver for the wxPython GUI
> digitizing module.

It's a fundamental choice we will have to make. With it we can build
much richer GUI tools. Without it we get simpler installs.

We will most likely be able to do anything without resorting to SWIG if
we try hard enough; but how much extra work would that then be to
write/maintain new C code to act as a go between for libgis & python?

I'd leave it to the binary packagers to worry about installing swig, if it's needed by the user at runtime.

Hamish