[GRASS-dev] Mac OS X newbie question

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 09:34:47 EDT 2007

Hi Gretchen,

> Off and on, for a number of years, I have trying to use GRASS on the
> Mac. (I became a little familiar with GIS when ESRI still made
> ArcView for the Mac, and created some data that I still need, and
> need a better way to update it.) I am again trying to use GRASS (but
> it does not come up in the GUI). I need to deal with the fact that my
> login is remote from the computer I use. I know that I need to set a
> PATH variable somewhere to make GRASS work, but I have virtually no
> Unix understanding. I am capable of creating/editing a .tcshrc file
> or .cshrc file, but I don't really know what to put in it.

If you are trying to use the GUI remotely from a Mac you might try using -Y:
  ssh -Y user at hostname

'xeyes' is a good test if X will get passed over the remote connection.

As long as the remote host is set up correctly I don't think you have to bother
with any PATH or .grass.bashrc / .grass.cshrc files.

Hamish