[GRASS-dev] Mac OS X newbie question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Aug 21 10:19:04 EDT 2007

I guess I interpreted this differently.  Just to be clear, do you
mean you are connecting to a remote computer, where GRASS resides,
from your Mac?  Or do you mean your Mac login & home is on a remote
OSX server (LDAP), and GRASS is on the local Mac?

If it's a remote connection to GRASS, then it's as Glynn says.  You
will also have to make sure that the X11 aplication is running.  I
don't know if you can run it from a Terminal, you may need to use an
xterm from X11.  Note also that OSX now defaults to the bash shell,
so it would be .bashrc/.bash_profile.

If it's an LDAP login, then that doesn't matter.  There may be some
things to put in the .bash_profile (DISPLAY, PATH), but if you use
the OSX .app build of GRASS, this is taken care of for you.  GRASS
6.3 has this, and I've ported it over for my 6.2 OSX binaries.  It
also takes care of making sure that X11 is running and starts the
Terminal for you.  Just double-click GRASS.app.

With a generic unix build, you'll have to start X11 yourself, and at
least "export DISPLAY=:0.0" should be in your .bash_profile.

The X11 frowarding capability brings up an interesting point - when
the Python gui is default, and NVIZ doesn't need X11, breaking the
ties to X11 (on OSX at least), this won't be possible.  A more
indirect method, like VNC, will have to be used.