[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS-user] GRASS6.3 on Windows

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Aug 22 11:01:22 EDT 2007

On 8/22/07 4:22 AM, "Paul Kelly" <paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk> wrote:

> Well maybe I was being a bit overly dramatic, but running
>   grep "exec " *.tcl | grep -v catch | wc -l
> in the gis.m directory still reveals 72 lines where exec is used without a
> corresponding catch. Not very scientific and perhaps not important in most
> cases - but if a single command (be it a GRASS module or system command)
> is not available or not working for some reason it could really make the
> difference between somebody tearing their hair out for a day or finding
> the source of a problem quickly.

Thanks for the analysis Paul. I'm wondering where all these are? I'll try to
re-run it and see. You are right about the difficulty of trapping the other
kind of errors though. The fact that they are often a couple levels down
from the GUI error traps, and may not generate particularly intelligent
stderr messages in the first place makes this especially hard. We need some
help with this.

Michael

Director of Graduate Studies
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity