[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] Re: wxgrass won't work - how to set up digitization?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Aug 22 15:48:57 EDT 2007

Martin Landa wrote:

> > Does this mean we will have mission-critical elements (such as
> > digitiation) in C++ ?
>
> in C++ is written only minimalistic display driver (library) for
> digitization tool which draws vector elements on map canvas. This
> library is used only for rendering purposes (question of speed).

Do you mean the actual rendering, or retrieving the vector data to be
rendered?

> C++
> because wxWidgets is written in C++! It shouldn't case any problems.
>
> > In view of all the problems this has caused in the
> > past, I would strongly plead against this.
>
> I am not sure what you refer to (r.terraflow pain is more connected
> with the way how this module is written AFAIK).

Some of r.terraflow's problems are due to extensive use of C++
features (e.g. templates, STL). But even with minimal use of C++, you
still tend to end up with relatively fragile binaries (i.e. they won't
work on a system that's even slightly different to the one on which
they were compiled).

But my main concern is about calling GRASS library functions directly
from the GUI, whether via C or C++. As I've mentioned before, the
GRASS API is unsuitable for such use.