[GRASS-dev] CVS 2 SVN migration

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de
Wed Aug 22 16:33:11 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 22 August 2007 18:30, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote on 08/22/2007 02:25 PM:
> > On Dienstag, 14. August 2007, Markus Neteler wrote:
> >> But we should no longer wait, otherwise some developers may go away.
> >> Since OSGeo is offering SVN infrastructure to the OSGeo projects, this
> >> could be an alternative then.
> >
> > once there is a SVN repository, it could easily be integrated into Wald
> > or any other SVN infrastructure.
> >
> > This first step (cvs2svn) needs to be done anyway and this is the one
> > that consumes time.
>
> Yes, sure. The problem is: how to get the script settings right.

I tried this command
cvs2svn --no-default-eol --fs-type=fsfs -s grass-svn grassrepository
and got this errors:

Pass 1 complete.
Error summary:
ERROR: A CVS repository cannot contain both
grassrepository/grass6/display/d.erase/main.c,v and
grassrepository/grass6/display/d.erase/Attic/main.c,v
ERROR: A CVS repository cannot contain both
grassrepository/grass6/general/g.mapsets/main_inter.c,v and
grassrepository/grass6/general/g.mapsets/Attic/main_inter.c,v
ERROR: A CVS repository cannot contain both
grassrepository/grass6/include/gproj_api.h,v and
grassrepository/grass6/include/Attic/gproj_api.h,v
ERROR: A CVS repository cannot contain both
grassrepository/grass6/visualization/nviz/src/getCat.c,v and
grassrepository/grass6/visualization/nviz/src/Attic/getCat.c,v
Exited due to fatal error(s).

> > It is good that the binary problems are fixed meanwhile, I didn't notice
> > this change.
> >
> > IIUC, we just need to define a time for commit stop and then take a
> > snapshot of the CVS repository, apply cvs2svn to it (find out about
> > apropriate parameters, I have done this task a couple of times), check
> > the result and put it into the development platforms' SVN place.
>
> I suggest that we don't stop CVS unless the actual migration is done.
> Since CVS is available via rsync, we will continue to build a SVN
> repository on one
> of our servers to figure out the cvs2svn parameters. Once it is really
> working, we
> can do the migration.

sure.

> I understood that Intevation has already migrated
> CVS repositories,
> so it would be helpful to learn from your experience.

I'll try my very best. However, GRASS is bigger than anything
I migrated before.

--
Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner                                   Intevation GmbH