[GRASS-dev] compile directions

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Aug 24 16:31:06 EDT 2007

Patton, Eric wrote:

> It seems to me that make distclean takes into account all possible
> modifications to makefiles, libraries, etc. I can't remember the
> number of times on the mailing list that folks have solved weird
> compile errors by make distclean after multiple failed attempts
> using make clean. I'm no authority on the subject, however.

"make distclean" should restore the source tree to its original
condition, as if you had deleted it then run "cvs checkout ...".

> FWIW, I make distclean after daily cvs updates to 6.3, and have
> never encountered any problems.

It's better to run it *before* "cvs update". I use:

	make distclean &> /dev/null
	cvs update 2>&1 | fgrep -v 'cvs server: Updating '

If you get any lines beginning with a "?" at the start of the output,
those correspond to files which CVS doesn't know about. You should
determine how they got there and whether they might interfere with
anything.

If you run "cvs update" without having run "make distclean" first, the
output will be swamped with entries for OBJ.<arch> etc, making any
real issues harder to spot.