[GRASS-dev] NVIZ state file format (was GRASS6.3 on Windows, nviz)

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 28 14:43:16 EDT 2007

AFAICT, the current situation is that NVIZ will not properly read the state
file that it writes. To 'fix' it to read it with the current file format and
code approach will result in an incomplete 'fix' in that it still won't read
parts of the state file properly.

XML is a potentially good idea, but requires an external library AND I don't
know XML well enough to implement this.

I *think* I can fix it so that NVIZ in GRASS 6.3 can properly read and
configure itself from a state file. BUT, I need to change the state file
format a little bit to make it parseable. Basically, I need to add section
delimiters (e.g., "start surf", "end surf").

Should I go ahead and do this if I can?

Alternatively, if someone else would like to take this on, I'd be more than
happy.

Michael

On 8/27/07 12:31 PM, "Glynn Clements" <glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I don't know enough about xml (either creating or parsing in TclTk) to
>> implement this, although it sounds like a viable idea otherwise.
>
> As NVIZ is a hybrid C+Tcl/Tk application, you can use an external
> library (e.g. libxml) for parsing.
>
> Parsing XML in Tcl isn't viable, IMHO.

Director of Graduate Studies
Arizona State University