[GRASS-dev] NVIZ state file format (was GRASS6.3 on Windows, nviz)

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:09:24 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 28 August 2007 11:43, Michael Barton wrote:
> AFAICT, the current situation is that NVIZ will not properly read the state
> file that it writes. To 'fix' it to read it with the current file format
> and code approach will result in an incomplete 'fix' in that it still won't
> read parts of the state file properly.
>
> XML is a potentially good idea, but requires an external library AND I
> don't know XML well enough to implement this.

My 2 cents here. If we are using XML in other parts of GRASS (via external
parsing libs) I think that it would be good to standardize on some flavor of
XML for any misc. things like the NVIZ state file. XML is simple to read in a
text editor, simple to parse with external tools, and simple to read/write
with the appropriate libs.

> I *think* I can fix it so that NVIZ in GRASS 6.3 can properly read and
> configure itself from a state file. BUT, I need to change the state file
> format a little bit to make it parseable. Basically, I need to add section
> delimiters (e.g., "start surf", "end surf").

This would be fairly simple in XML:

<surface>
  <id>1</id>
  <name>elevation</name>
  <source>elev at mapset></source>
  <colormap>elev at mapset</colormap>

  ... other properties
</surface>

this type of construct could be used to define all of the pieces in the
statefile, so that they can be *directly* read from the document tree:

get/set methods work on:
surface->id->property->value

> Should I go ahead and do this if I can?
>
> Alternatively, if someone else would like to take this on, I'd be more than
> happy.

thats the kicker... I do not know enough about XML in a C environment to do
this / and a MS thesis is looming over my head right now... Sorry!

Thanks for the hard work Michael,

Dylan