[GRASS-dev] Re: error saving tifs from NVIZ in winGRASS

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Thu Dec 20 03:38:14 EST 2007

Moritz Lennert wrote:

> So, unless someone decides to rewrite nviz to use gdal, I guess we will
> have to compile wingrass with tiff support. Or maybe we can use existing
> libtiff binaries from mingw or gnuwin32.
>
> Moritz

That's easy enough. Note, however, that you have to build and install
LibJPEG first.
In the text below, I assume that you have headers and libs in
C:\msys\1.0\include, C:\msys\1.0\lib. Adjust paths as necessary.

===========================

INSTRUCTIONS FOR BUILDING ON MINGW/MSYS:

LibJPEG 6b

The easiest way is to use the MinGWport file from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435. Download the
file jpeg-6b-mingwPORT.tar.bz2 from there and save it to
C:\msys\1.0\src. The package contains an install script mingwPORT.sh
that makes it easy to download, patch and install LibJPEG under MSYS.

cd /src
tar -xjf jpeg-6b-mingwPORT.tar.bz2
cd jpeg-6b/mingwPORT
sh mingwPORT.sh

This will start the install script. Answer the questions as follows from
this transcript (note: you can go with the defaults except for
``Installation directory''):

Download file? (Yes) y
Download file URI? (ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/jpeg)

Archive file type?
0) unknown
1) tar.gz
2) tgz
3) tar.bz2
4) tbz2
5) zip

Select a numeric value: (1)
Archive file? (jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz)
Download to path? (/tmp)
Source path? (/usr/src/jpeg-6b) /usr/src/jpeg-6b
Installation directory? (/mingw) /usr

CFLAGS (-O3 -s -mms-bitfields -march=i686)

Now wait for the install script to download the source code, patch,
compile and install it.

LibTIFF 3.8.2

The easiest way is to use the MinGWport file from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435.
Download the file tiff-3.8.2-mingwPORT.tar.bz2 from there and save it to
C:\msys\1.0\src. The package contains a shell script that makes it easy
to download, patch and install LibTIFF under MSYS.

cd /src
tar -xjf tiff-3.8.2-mingwPORT.tar.bz2
cd tiff-3.8.2/mingwPORT
sh mingwPORT.sh

This will start the install script. Answer the questions as follows from
this transcript. Strangely enough, the default options will not work, so
make sure to specify the C and C++ flags as shown below:

Download file? (Yes)
Download file URI? (ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff)

Archive file type?
0) unknown
1) tar.gz
2) tgz
3) tar.bz2
4) tbz2
5) zip

Select a numeric value: (1)

Archive file? (tiff-3.8.2.tar.gz)
Download to path? (/tmp)
Source path? (/usr/src/tiff-3.8.2)
Installation directory? (/mingw) /usr

CFLAGS (-O3 -s -mms-bitfields -march=i686) -O3 -s -mms-bitfields
-march=i686 -I/usr/include -L/usr/lib -ljpeg

CXXFLAGS (-O3 -s -mms-bitfields -march=i686) -O3 -s -mms-bitfields

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik

Tel.: ++49 (0)431 880-3378 / -3379