[GRASS-dev] Re: python gis manager concept

Jáchym Čepický jachym.cepicky at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:24:39 EST 2007

hi,

2007/2/2, Michael Barton <michael.barton at asu.edu>:
> Jachym,
>
> I like the concept and it is close to what I've been doing. I've attached a
> screenshot of it. The main difference is that after consideration, I made
> the choicebook (varient of notebook) for the display at the top of the
> hierarchy and added a notebook with tree controls and console for a display
> to each page. This seems easier to track controls for each display. My
> earlier version looked more like yours. One nice thing about using a choice
> book is that you don't have to worry about space for tabs as you add more
> pages (i.e., displays).

I like the idea to have direct access to each monitor. Yours approach
means that you have the double click - first at the choice book and
than at the desired monitor... I would prefer the panel approach also
because you can add "x" (close) button to the top of each panel.

Maybe this is a topic for GRASS survey?

> I like the idea of a command line at the bottom. This should make a lot of
> people happy too.

I added your screenshot to the wiki [1] , so we can compare
side-by-side each proposal and maybe  piece the best peaces from all
together.

Jachym

[1] http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/GRASS_GUI#Screenshots_with_proposed_shapes

> On 2/1/07 8:31 AM, "Jáchym Čepický" <jachym.cepicky at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > things are movig slowly forward. As you might know, I started to write
> > some low-level code for rednering raster, vector, graph, wms, ...,
> > layers into map image. The code is avaliable in GRASSSVN-Addons
> > repository [1].
> >
> > I started also to think about the GIS-Manager concept. I prepared some
> > "preview" using wxglade (this is not the best tool thought) - you can
> > open the file gism.wxg (attached) in wxglade and play with it a bit. I
> > send also the screenshot of this try attached to  this e-mail.
> >
> > In this version of gism, menubar and tool bar are missing - this is
> > not intention. What I wanted to present with this is the notebook
> > concept  -- each display has it's own notebook panel in which the
> > layer tree is stored.
> >
> > On the bottom of gismanager, GRASS command line is ready for quick usage.
> >
> > What do you think about this concept? Please feel free to redesign
> > this proposal and share your ideas.
> >
> > I think, we should stop for a while to code and start to discuss about
> > the future design. The current Tcl/Tk gis manager has shown many
> > things and we should think about it's design for a while, before we
> > start to rewrite it using python.
> >
> > Looking forward to your comments
> >
> > Jachym
> >
> > [1]