[GRASS-dev] [bug #5263] (grass) r.to.vect: -v flag doesn't transfer cat values

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Tue Feb 6 17:14:16 EST 2007

hbowman wrote (Thu, Nov 9 2006 06:32:54):

> Subject: r.to.vect: -v flag doesn't transfer cat values

Without -v the categories are not assigned for feature=line either. This is
propably not desired, but not a bug deal as one can use v.category later.

However, in case of -v I guess that v.category not assigning the categories
makes a sane thing. Because, how to assing input raster lines values as
categories to output vector lines, when they are overlapping input raster
cells of different value, .eg:

http://kufaya.googlepages.com/lines.png

Looks like r.to.vect feauture=line cares only about the line's shape, and it's
propably doing it by design. Am I thinking any good here? Do we call it a
feature? Shall I document this?

> the vector map is created but the lines have no cats
> v.info:
>  |   Number of dblinks:      0

FWIW, this is not a proof for a lack of categories. A vector can have
categories and no dblinks. v.category option=report would do instead.

Maciek