[GRASS-dev] [bug #5483] (grass) g.mremove through gis manager GUI seems not to work well

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 18:54:08 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:
> > > I've committed a fix which removes the prompting code. The -f flag
> > > remains for compatibility but is ignored.

> Hamish wrote:
> > you can preset/hint an option's answer in the GUI by giving it on
> > the command line and adding the --ui switch to force a GUI:
> >
> > g.mremove -f --ui
> >
> > I've backported a fix using this method to the 6.2 GUI menu.tcl:
> >  -command {execute "g.mremove -f --ui" }}

Glynn:
> Ultimately, a module is either interactive or it isn't. If it's even
> slightly interactive, then it's interactive, and that reduces its
> usability.
..
> What happens if the user deselects the -f switch from the GUI? Is
> there any way to kill the hung process?

Then they get stuck. We'd have to change the option's description which
read: "-f (use only if you know what you are doing)". Users are likely
to deselect it based on that, esp if they are new.

Other alternatives:

* remove g.mremove from the GUI menu all together -- leave it as a power
tool from the command line if you know what you are doing.

* write a wrapper --script for g.mremove which doesn't include the -f
flag, and have the GUI call that.

Hamish