[GRASS-dev] WxPython front-end to ps.map

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 8 20:37:27 EST 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> Something I proposed is that we really limit the number of d.* modules used
> in the new GUI. All the decorations (e.g., scale, north arrows, text,
> histogram, maybe grids or others) would be better done within wx.Python
> rather than rendered into raster maps by a d.* module as they are now. They
> would look much better and offer greater flexibility in placement options
> and appearance. I'm not proposing that we get rid of such modules, just not
> use them in the new GUI. That would reduce the amount of d.* module
> rewriting needed perhaps.

d.* aren't just for interactive use. Any new architecture needs to
allow for scripted creation of graphics (e.g. web applications).

BTW, there are two distinct types of graphics: georeferenced and not.
Of the above examples, all but histograms are georeferenced (or may
be; text can be either). Having graphics generated by two different
mechanisms would require some effort to ensure that "annotations"
actually aligned with the maps.