[GRASS-dev] WxPython front-end to ps.map

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 21:12:04 EST 2007

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Michael Barton wrote:
>
> > Something I proposed is that we really limit the number of d.*
> > modules used in the new GUI. All the decorations (e.g., scale, north
> > arrows, text, histogram, maybe grids or others) would be better done
> > within wx.Python rather than rendered into raster maps by a d.*
> > module as they are now. They would look much better and offer
> > greater flexibility in placement options and appearance. I'm not
> > proposing that we get rid of such modules, just not use them in the
> > new GUI. That would reduce the amount of d.* module rewriting needed
> > perhaps.
>
> d.* aren't just for interactive use. Any new architecture needs to
> allow for scripted creation of graphics (e.g. web applications).
>
> BTW, there are two distinct types of graphics: georeferenced and not.
> Of the above examples, all but histograms are georeferenced (or may
> be; text can be either). Having graphics generated by two different
> mechanisms would require some effort to ensure that "annotations"
> actually aligned with the maps.

FYI, "d.barscale -n" is not georeferenced, either is d.graph (without
the -m flag). d.graph can be used for scripted creation of graphics;
perhaps not as efficiently as direct calls, but I don't think it is so
slow either. Certainly it is flexible. (I'm not arguing to use it for
the GUI, I'm just pointing out that it exists and could help with
prototypes)

Hamish