[GRASS-dev] strange help text indentation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 05:16:08 EST 2007

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered that (IMHO) the help layout in the CMD line output
> was apparently messed up. Example:
>
> d.vect help
>        layer   Layer number
>            Layer number. If -1, all layers are displayed.
>                default: 1
>         cats   Category values
>            Example: 1,3,7-9,13
>        where   WHERE conditions of SQL statement without 'where'
>        keyword.
>            Example: income < 1000 and inhab >= 10000
>

> should be something like:
>
>        layer   Layer number
>                   Layer number. If -1, all layers are displayed.
>                   default: 1
>         cats   Category values
>                   Example: 1,3,7-9,13
>        where   WHERE conditions of SQL statement without 'where'
>        keyword.
>                   Example: income < 1000 and inhab >= 10000
>
> Was there a reason to shift it to the left?

the indented text is when you have both a ->label and ->description
defined, eg lib/gis/parser.c standard options:

        case G_OPT_V_CATS:
            Opt->key          = "cats";
            Opt->type         = TYPE_STRING;
            Opt->key_desc     = "range";
            Opt->required     = NO;
            Opt->label        = _("Category values");
            Opt->description  = _("Example: 1,3,7-9,13");

It is a bit weird though, usually you use ->description, but when you
use '->label' your '->description' becomes the tooltip in the GUI (or
badly indented text) and the label becomes the description!!??
I would think ->description should hold its meaning and label be for
an optional tooltip when supplied.

So I don't know why, but if you follow the history of the ->label
option you might find a clue. Probably just a mistake?

Hamish