[GRASS-dev] Re: gis.m, thematic layer: You must open a display monitor

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Feb 13 09:58:14 EST 2007

On 13/02/07 15:29, Michael Barton wrote:
> I have no idea. Perhaps I'm imagining things, but I swear that I'm seeing a
> LOT more of these messages recently--with their deleterious effects on
> scripting. Hamish says they've been there all along. I'm suspecting that the
> code for the message has existed, but they did not get parsed for some
> reason. But that is just speculation.

Well in this case, there is a change by Daniel dated Jan. 28 which might
be linked:

- Added quotes in occurences of 'if [ -z "$var" ]'

But reverting back to no quotes gives the same error message.

Looking at the logic, I don't actually understand how this worked
before. As I said, IIUC the x-mon test seems to be done whether you are
using GIS Manager or not. But under GIS Manager there should be no x-mon...

Conditonalising the check as follows:

if [ "$GIS_FLAG_S"  -eq 0 ] ; then
   if [ -z "$currmon" ] ; then
         echo ""
         echo "*** You must open a display monitor ***"
         echo ""
         cleanup
         exit 2
   fi
fi

makes the error message go away, but I get a new one:

Usage:  /usr/lib/grass/etc/mon.select monitor_name

This time, however, the map and legend are displayed correctly (without
the "fix" only the legend is displayed). I can get this second error
message to go away by commenting line 862:

#               d.mon select=$currmon

This comes from the fact that $currmon is empty in GIS Manager. Again, I
don't understand why we have to deal with d.mon here if we are in the
GIS Manager...and why this did not cause any problems before.

Moritz