[GRASS-dev] Re: Fix Help button in gis.m raster/vector display conf locks up gis.m

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Feb 16 12:35:17 EST 2007

Maris,

I was still waiting on wingrass to decide how best to deal with g.manual
running modally on some systems (i.e., on your Linux system but not on Mac
OS X).

On my Mac, spawn works but generates an annoying and useless message to
console each time. It doesn't matter if I add the --q switch or not.

Oddly, in your case it only generates the message if you DO use the --q
switch. This makes me wonder what the --q switch is doing in g.manual since
it appears to be creating verbose output rather than preventing it.

If I declare the global variable devnulls at the beginning of the options
panel procedure, I can use the form

spawn g.manual module > $devnulls &

OR

exec g.manual module > $devnulls &

Both work fine on my Mac and do NOT generate the annoying message.

How do these work on your system?

Moritz -- Does this work with Windows???

Michael

Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671