[GRASS-dev] [bug #5219] (grass) d.vect display=cat works only for layer 1

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Sat Feb 17 16:04:26 EST 2007

Hi!

Browsing old emails I found this one I never replied to. Sorry. Please
read below.

Hamish wrote:
> Martin Landa wrote:
>>> this bug's URL: http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=5219
> ..
>> It seems you have to specify the llayer parameter too,  e.g.
>>
>> d.erase;d.vect pts2 layer=2 display=shape,cat llayer=2
>>
>> It is really confusing, I am not sure how to solve it. Do you think,
>> would be enough to print a given warning, e.g. "The layer number (2)
>> and layer number for labels (1) are not the same.".
>

> It would appear to be perfectly legal to display shapes from one layer
> and labels from another.

Hamish is correct. However, it seems to me that when the user runs:

d.vect pts2 layer=2 display=shape,cat

he will expect that categories for layer 2 will be displayed, not for
layer 1, as it happens currently. Only if he really wants to display
geometry from layer 2 and categories (or other labels) belonging to
layer 1, he should have to explicitely set llayer=1.

The conclussion is, if my thinking is correct: shouldn't llayer default
to layer, if not explicitely requested differently?

If this was implemented, the warning which Matin proposed in his patch
would be redundant.

Cheers
Maciek