[GRASS-dev] GRASS-TNG

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Feb 22 14:41:13 EST 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Hruby Martin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am Radek's supervisor in his master thesis which should be a part of
> this mentioned project. The project itself seems to be too huge to become
> an one-man-show. For this reason, we have started asking our friends and
> collegues in our country, like Martin Landa and Jachym Cepicky for their
> help and comments.
>
> Opening idea is that GRASS is too old fashioned to keep it in development
> in current programming style. Some people will agree, some people not. We
> just want to remake the GIS kernel and to rewrite current modules to the
> new fashion. The whole philosophy of GRASS should remain the same.

Which was why I wrote to the original questioner, suggesting that trying
to implement a small sample of GRASS modules on top of Terralib, which is
a full, bells&whistles templated C++ LGPL GIS framework written by some of
the best people around in GIScience (Gilberto Câmara and others), would be
a worthwhile test. If (some of)  the legacy GRASS library infrastructure
can be replaced by a different kernel, and run acceptably, then we would
know something.

My guess would be that the MAPSET concept would need time, probably also
the LOCATION concept, but that other things, like locking, would be
handled by the underlying database systems. Raster reading would also need
fine tuning. The vector modules might largely prove unneccesary, because
Terralib has good vector support.

Not as brave a a whole new kernel, just using an existing new kernel that
meets your design criteria, for what they are worth. It is also feasible
in an MSc, which writing a real modern GIS kernel isn't. Knowing som
Portuguese might help!

Once you have some running and profiled prototypes, there may be more
interest, otherwise I doubt it, to be honest. If the prototypes run with
the same options and output effects as the originals, the GUI will have a
chance because they are (to a large extent) scripted on top of the CLI
modules.

Roger