[GRASS-dev] Re: g.rename consolidation

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Feb 26 10:30:19 EST 2007

TclTk has a nice progress bar capabilities. But it needs consistent
information to read. There is a progress bar built into the map display that
tracks display progress. For modules that output consistent progress
information, there is the green progress bar in the autogenerated dialog.
The holes are for modules that don't output progress information in a
consistent format and for scripts that tend not to output it at all.

Michael

On 2/26/07 3:08 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Maris Nartiss wrote:
>> I had opportunity to watch how total n00bs and lam3s work with GRASS.
>> One of problems for them was how to know whem some module has finished
>> it's work witout error. Curretnly lot of GRASS modules output
>> different progress info, that many users may found fustrating, but
>> after reporting about "opening" and "closing" maps, it does not report
>> "success" at end. In good old times it was easy to know, that module
>> has finished it's run - it was just returning GRASS prompt to user to
>> get new command. Nowdays progress may go to different window somewhere
>> behind other windows between gazzilion of other unnecessary info and
>> it may be hard to distinguish what's important and what is not and as
>> progress bar due extensive output may be scrolled up far, far away,
>> how to know how many % module has completed?
>

> It's a valid point, and not just frustrating for new users. From the Tcl
> GUI window there is no indication that it has finished, unless the
> module calls G_done_msg(). They shouldn't have to run gkrellm or learn
> to listen to the change in pitch of the processor fan to know it is done.
>
> For a long time I have wished that G_done_msg() would show a green tick
> mark in the GUI window like G_warning() and G_fatal_error() show a "!"
> and "X".
>
> Maybe wxPython gives us more options than tcl does WRT knowing when a
> process finishes?
>

> Hamish

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University