[GRASS-dev] Re: g.rename consolidation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 26 05:08:18 EST 2007

Maris Nartiss wrote:
> I had opportunity to watch how total n00bs and lam3s work with GRASS.
> One of problems for them was how to know whem some module has finished
> it's work witout error. Curretnly lot of GRASS modules output
> different progress info, that many users may found fustrating, but
> after reporting about "opening" and "closing" maps, it does not report
> "success" at end. In good old times it was easy to know, that module
> has finished it's run - it was just returning GRASS prompt to user to
> get new command. Nowdays progress may go to different window somewhere
> behind other windows between gazzilion of other unnecessary info and
> it may be hard to distinguish what's important and what is not and as
> progress bar due extensive output may be scrolled up far, far away,
> how to know how many % module has completed?

It's a valid point, and not just frustrating for new users. From the Tcl
GUI window there is no indication that it has finished, unless the
module calls G_done_msg(). They shouldn't have to run gkrellm or learn
to listen to the change in pitch of the processor fan to know it is done.

For a long time I have wished that G_done_msg() would show a green tick
mark in the GUI window like G_warning() and G_fatal_error() show a "!"
and "X".

Maybe wxPython gives us more options than tcl does WRT knowing when a
process finishes?

Hamish