[GRASS-dev] Re: g.rename consolidation

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 00:14:58 EST 2007

Jáchym Èepický wrote:
> In my opinion, GRASS modules are verbosed too much (e.g. see
> r.terraflow). Message has for the user only then sence, if it is
> error, warning or user will have to wait longer time (so G_percent
> should be used imidietly after this). otherwise it is task for G_debug
>
> So basicly, I would like to remove most of the "closing maps" and
> similar messages. if you want to inform the user about e.g. how many
> points were processed, we should use fprintf to stdout for it, since
> this is not a message, but a result...

Rather than a full delete, if you wish to get rid of status/progress
messages (for quick running modules) please move the messages to
G_debug(1,"") etc. It would be nice to able to run with DEBUG=1 all the
time without huge amounts of noise, so maybe some of the existing
less interesting debug-1 messages could move to debug-2, etc.

(without violating these rules from lib/gis/debug.c)
 * Levels: (recommended levels)
 * 1 - message is printed once or few times per module
 * 3 - each row (raster) or line (vector)
 * 5 - each cell (raster) or point (vector)

I'm still not sure when to use --verbose vs. G_debug(1,).
ie due to the existence of G_debug(1,) is there any need for --verbose?
When to use one or the other? Do we really need --verbose at all?

I think it is a pain to always advertise --verbose, when it is only used
in a few modules. How are you supposed to guess that it does anything?

thanks,
Hamish