[GRASS-dev] GRASS startup window patches

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 5 17:42:40 EST 2007

Maris,

A short while back, I started trying to improve the startup in general and
for windows in particular. The work I did on the epsg option was a test to
see if this worked better. I've been waiting for some updates to g.proj
before going on to make some similar improvements to the georef file
location creator. I didn't want to fix it one way, and then have to change
to a different routine if g.proj is updated.

The issue with g.proj is that in order to create a new location (only one of
the things that g.proj does) it needs to have at least one valid location
and mapset already set. This makes sense for most of what g.proj does, but
not for making a new location. This is of course problematic for first time
use where a valid location does not yet exist. The epsg option gets around
this by creating a temporary fake location in case one doesn't yet exist,
creating the desired location with g.proj, and then deleting the fake
location. This is cumbersome and could cause problems if the process is
halted mid-way through.

However, if an update to g.proj is not forthcoming, perhaps I can just go
ahead and fix the georef location creator in the same way as the epsg
option.

I'll try out your patches first. It looks like the ones to the epsg option
serve to internationalize the GUI (good idea). I'm not sure what is happing
with the changes to gis_set.tcl. Could you summarize so I know what to look
for.

Thanks very much for this.

Michael

On 1/5/07 10:27 AM, "Maris Nartiss" <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as last night I had loooong chat with some first time GRASS user, who
> was hit by problems in GRASS startup screen (paritaly fixed in 6.3),
> thus today I spent some time on fixing small usability problems of
> startup screen.
>
> Please, somebody review them and commit to CVS.
>
> And another question - epsg_option.tcl uses "exec g.proj" to call
> g.proj. Is possible (safe) to use same approach to create new location
> from georeferenced file? If yes, then it's just copy/paste epsg_option
> code and a bit to tweak to make georef location creator as same good
> like epsg one :)
>
> Maris.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University