[GRASS-dev] GRASS startup window patches

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jan 5 18:15:52 EST 2007

I haven't seen any problem with these patches but will want to know what the
gis_set.tcl patches do before committing it.

There is still a problem with the epsg code browsing that I ran into before.
This is the setting of "PROJSHARE", the location of the epsg file.

Supposedly, this is set during compilation. I had thought that it wasn't
being set properly on my Mac binaries. But I checked a recent compile and it
is being set. At least, this is the only place I can see to set it...

--with-proj-includes=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Headers
--with-proj-libs=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/unix/lib
--with-proj-share=/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Resources/proj

However, the way that the epsg file location is treated in the TclTk code
seems strange.

This is the way it is now...

    set epsgOpt::browsedepsg "PROJSHARE/epsg"

...where epsgOpt is a variable whose value will be automatically inserted
into the epsg file browse window as a default.

I would normally think that some kind of environmental variable PROSHARE,
would be written as $PROJSHARE or $env(PROJSHARE) in the TclTk script. But
someone told me that it should be written as PROJSHARE (i.e., no string
substitution). I can't find the email of whoever it was (Glynn??).

Anyway, with this construction, what actually shows up in the epsg file
browse widget on my Mac is "PROJSHARE/epsg" and not
"/Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Resources/proj" (which is what it should
be).

Neither $PROJSHARE nor $env(PROJSHARE) exists as variables, however. So does
anyone know what is wrong? Does this work properly on Linux systems
currently (that is, does it give a proper path to the epsg file)? If so, any
idea why it doesn't on the Mac?

Michael

On 1/5/07 10:27 AM, "Maris Nartiss" <maris.gis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> as last night I had loooong chat with some first time GRASS user, who
> was hit by problems in GRASS startup screen (paritaly fixed in 6.3),
> thus today I spent some time on fixing small usability problems of
> startup screen.
>
> Please, somebody review them and commit to CVS.
>
> And another question - epsg_option.tcl uses "exec g.proj" to call
> g.proj. Is possible (safe) to use same approach to create new location
> from georeferenced file? If yes, then it's just copy/paste epsg_option
> code and a bit to tweak to make georef location creator as same good
> like epsg one :)
>
> Maris.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University