[GRASS-dev] G_program_name to every message / r.li

Brad Douglas rez at touchofmadness.com
Sun Jan 7 16:17:18 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 19:00 +0100, Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I think it would be nice, if G_message, G_warning and G_fatal_error
> would print module name at the beginning of the message.
>
> If the modules are used in scripts, it is sometimes difficult to
> identify, which C-module, used in the script, caused some problem or is
> printing the message. This is the case for e.g. r.report (file stats.c)
> too.
>
> What about adding G_program_name(); to every message, so that
>
>     G_message("Hallo, world!");
>
> would produce
>
>     g.module: Hallo, world!

Why?  This amounts to spam, IMHO.  Some module names are 30 characters
wide (I'm looking at you, r.li)!  That's nearly half the terminal
length.

r.li's modules need to be renamed in keeping with other modules (mixed
case, length, etc.).  I do not envy anyone who has to use them without
tab-completion or similar.

--
Brad Douglas <rez touchofmadness com>                    KB8UYR/6
Address: 37.493,-121.924 / WGS84    National Map Corps #TNMC-3785