[GRASS-dev] Re: [Qgis-developer] Windows native GRASS build

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 05:40:04 EST 2007

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007, Radim Blazek wrote:

> On 1/1/07, Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com> wrote:
>> Happy new year all!
>>
>> For those of you following the GRASS on windows efforts with QGIS, I
>> have now got GRASS building with all but about 20 modules under
>> msys/windows. I havent compiled in postgresql support yet.. GRASS
>> attribute viewing and man page viewing are now working under windows
>> qgis for me. There are two small issues remaining that I noticed (and
>> maybe more that others will notice):
>>
>> 1) Every time a layer is added a black console box temporarily appears
>> and then disappears.
>
> It is known problem, db driver is exe and when it is started by spawnl()
> it opens Windows console for a while. I am not Win expert and I dont know
> how to avoid this. I have asked already in QGIS and GRASS devel lists.

Just wondering, if the newly improved G_spawn() might be a possible tidier
solution for this? Not sure and not really able to test patches here yet
as my Windows build is still having the db driver communication problem
described by Moritz in earlier e-mails. Must get round to trying it with a
different database.
Just wanted to put it on the list anyway. Sorry can't take the idea any
further right now, but the relevant file is lib/db/dbmi_client/start.c

Paul