[GRASS-dev] File based GRASS batch processing?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 22 11:28:25 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:22:09PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> Hello Markus,
>
> Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote at Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:09:16
> +0100:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I often have to process large data sets on remote
> > machines which takes more than a day. Since I
> > cannot keep the ssh connection open for so long,
> > it would be very convenient to have the possibility
> > to pass a file (containing GRASS commands) as
> > parameter to the startup script, say something like:
> >
> > nohup grass63 -text -batch myjobs.sh ~/grassdata/spearfish60/neteler/
> > & ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > I assume that this would require changes in lib/init/init.*
> > (maybe for now only lib/init/init.sh).
> >
> > Before wasting time on this, any suggestions for a best
> > implementation? Maybe I am overlooking an easy solution.
>
> Have you tried using screen[1] for this purpose? this can pick up remote
> sessions.
>
> I *assume* you could do this using screen as well?!
> Check the manpage for details.
>
> Best
>
> 	Stephan
>
> [1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/34

Hi Stephan,

thanks for the idea. If for any reason file based batch
processing is impossible, I'll try to understand "screen".
So far it looks like overkill for my scope (say: I want
to import a fat vector map which takes one day to build
the topology, so "ps -aef" would be sufficient to see
if it still runs).

anyway, thanks,

Markus