[GRASS-dev] File based GRASS batch processing?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Jan 22 16:43:45 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:28:25PM +0100, Markus Neteler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:22:09PM +0100, Stephan Holl wrote:
> > Hello Markus,
> >
> > Markus Neteler <neteler at itc.it> wrote at Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:09:16
> > +0100:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I often have to process large data sets on remote
> > > machines which takes more than a day. Since I
> > > cannot keep the ssh connection open for so long,
> > > it would be very convenient to have the possibility
> > > to pass a file (containing GRASS commands) as
> > > parameter to the startup script, say something like:
> > >
> > > nohup grass63 -text -batch myjobs.sh ~/grassdata/spearfish60/neteler/
> > > & ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > I assume that this would require changes in lib/init/init.*
> > > (maybe for now only lib/init/init.sh).
> > >
> > > Before wasting time on this, any suggestions for a best
> > > implementation? Maybe I am overlooking an easy solution.
> >
> > Have you tried using screen[1] for this purpose? this can pick up remote
> > sessions.
> >
> > I *assume* you could do this using screen as well?!
> > Check the manpage for details.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > 	Stephan
> >
> > [1] http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/34
>
> Hi Stephan,
>
> thanks for the idea. If for any reason file based batch
> processing is impossible, I'll try to understand "screen".
> So far it looks like overkill for my scope (say: I want
> to import a fat vector map which takes one day to build
> the topology, so "ps -aef" would be sufficient to see
> if it still runs).

I forgot to mention that I cannot directly ssh to that
machine but access it only through another ssh gate, then
with a second ssh I get into it:

     +--- ssh -+              ssh
me --+-> gate -+--> officebox ---> GRASS machine

I guess that "screen" doesn't work for this case.

I was just told that KerGIS has such batch job option,
I'll take a look there (eventually I would like to have
it in GRASS, too).

Markus