[GRASS-dev] Re: Nviz animation wish

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Jan 25 19:03:29 EST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 5:22 PM, Hamish wrote:

> Again, not needed. r.out.mpeg will work fine with "ppmtompeg" which
> comes with NetPBM tools. AFAIK this comes with MacOSX already.
> ppmtompeg is mpeg-encode renamed; r.out.mpeg should work out of
> the box, ie without ffmpeg.

No, there are no commandline mpeg tools that come preinstalled with
OSX.  But some are readily available and up-to-date - ffmpeg,
mencoder come to mind.  You can also find some in Fink and
Darwinports, but some people prefer to not use those.

>> A possibility would be to rewrite the r.out.mpeg module to use the
>> ffmpeg program or other mpeg encoder, which has readily available
>> binaries.  Or just run them manually thru ffmpeg.
>
> IMO it would be much better to de-emphasise r.out.mpeg and rewrite
> as a
> shell/python/perl script depending on mencoder (or similar FFMPEG
> tool).
> Most of that module deals with creating the MPEG-1 encode spec file,
> which is not needed with newer encoders.

Just giving options.  But a script to interface with an external mpeg
encoding program of choice would be nice.  If possible it should be
able to handle multiple common encoders, so the user can use what
they can get. (Sorry, I'm not good with shell scripting.)

On Jan 25, 2007, at 5:18 PM, Helena Mitasova wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Agustin Diez Castillo wrote:
>
>> Michael I second you wish, for me is almost a dream.
>> Have been somebody able to run xganim in a Mac? I've tried in several
>> occasions to compile it with no success at all.
>
> I have it running on Mac with Lorenzo's GRASS6.1 and I have been
> careful not to update it
> so that I don't lose that capability. Whatever happened to it I
> would beg to put it back
> before there is a reliable replacement.

Hm, I decided for my OSX binaries to not include xganim because I
didn't want to also bloat the package with a copy of lesstif.  That
tcltk-based xganim of Glynn's would be great if it works comparably
to the motif-based one.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy