[GRASS-dev] R.terraflow crashing on Mac

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:53:19 EST 2007

I tried to run r.terrraflow on my Mac Intel last night and it crashed. This
is a version I compiled from the cvs on 23 January. Other recent versions
seem to work fine on the FC6 and FC4 workstations in my lab. I¹m copying the
error below in case anyone has a clue. (FWIW, the warning about
elevation_dem being found in multiple mapsets is both annoying and
misleading as my working mapset was indeed PERMANENT. This now happens with
multiple modules and I don¹t remember it appearing as often before).

Michael

========= r.terraflow error ====================
r.terraflow elev=elevation_dem filled=rterraflow_filled
direction=rterraflow_direction swatershed=rterraflow_swatershed
accumulation=rterraflow_accum tci=rterraflow_tci d8cut=infinity memory=1000
STREAM_DIR=/var/tmp stats=stats.out --overwrite

'cell/elevation_dem' was found in more mapsets (also found in
PERMANENT).

elevation stored as FLOAT (4B)

raster elevation_dem is of type CELL_TYPE --you should use
r.terraflow.short
region size is 93 x 143
STREAM temporary files in /var/tmp  (THESE INTERMEDIATE STREAMS
WILL NOT BE
DELETED IN CASE OF ABNORMAL TERMINATION OF THE PROGRAM. TO SAVE
SPACE PLEASE
DELETE THESE FILES MANUALLY!)
file stats.out exists - renaming.
MFD flow direction
D8CUT=999999986991104.000000
memory size: 1000.00M (1048576000) bytes
Memory manager registering memory in MM_IGNORE_MEMORY_EXCEEDED mode.

'cell/elevation_dem' was found in more mapsets (also found in
PERMANENT).
total elements=13299, nodata elements=0
largest temporary files:
         FILL: 727.29K (744744) [13299 elements, 56B each]
         FLOW: 1.01M (1063920) [13299 elements, 80B each]
Will need at least 2.03M (2127840) space available in /var/tmp
------------------------------
COMPUTING FLOW DIRECTIONS
classifying nodata (inner & boundary)
r.terraflow(9913) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced:
0x23aff8; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the
middle of
an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to
see tools
to help debug
delete: MM_manager.register_deallocation failed
/Users/cmbarton/grass_dev/grass6/macosx/GRASS/../../raster/
r.terraflow/IOStr
eam/lib/src/mm.cc:359: failed assertion `0'

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671