[GRASS-dev] how to display a vector map for d.path in gis.m?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Jan 30 10:06:51 EST 2007

Hi Otto,

I just took a look at d.path. There is no place in the module to select a
background map, though you can select a background color.

d.path [-g] map=name [type=string[,string,...]] [alayer=value]
   [nlayer=value] [afcol=string] [abcol=string] [ncol=string]
   [color=string] [hcolor=string] [bgcolor=string] [--verbose] [--quiet]

D.path is one of the older display modules that requires an xterm to run.
For this reason, it won't work in the new display system that does not use
an old xterm. To get complete d.path functionality in the new display
system, it needs to be re-written. To keep it available for people, we've
got the menu set to launch the xterm it needs to run. But there is no way to
specify a background map in the module.

To get a background map, you'll need to use GRASS with an xterm the old way.

D.mon start=x0
D.rast map=[raster map]
D.vect map=[vector map]
D.path map=[vector map]

Note, that all of these modules, if launched from the command line, will
create a TclTk dialog that can help you with their multiple options.

Hope this helps.

Michael

On 1/30/07 2:43 AM, "Otto Dassau" <otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:

> thanks for your help,
>
> yes I saw that, but I think that it might  be more intuitive for a user to
> have the selected map for d.path visualized directly in the new x-monitor,
> when
> when you click on start.
>
> I mean, it is not an error, and of course one can easily type a d.vect roads
> command or whatever, but I found it strange that klicking on start you get an
> empty x-monitor and a usage desription for the mouse buttons in the Output
> monitor, but the map you selected in the d.path popup is not automatically
> displayed.
>
> Maybe it is just my impression, so for me there is simply sth. missing. Could
> that not be added or is this difficult or not wanted?
>
> maybe I should add a wish to the bugtracker... but I wanted to ask, if there
> is
> a special reason, why the selected map isn't displayed in the new x-monitor.

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213
fax: 480-965-7671