[GRASS-dev] ramdisk as mapset?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Jul 19 12:38:26 EDT 2007

"Sören Gebbert" wrote:

> interesting idea. But lets put this idea into the library of grass. :)
>
> I would like to suggest to extent the grass lib to
> read the entire map into the memory if needed.

There's no advantage if you're doing sequential I/O, which is most of
GRASS.

Programs which do random I/O already have mechanisms to deal with
this; e.g. r.proj reads the entire useful region into memory,
r.proj.seg has its own tile cache, other programs (e.g. r.cost) use
the segment library.

If you are concerned about efficiency, build GRASS with profiling
support, and look at where the actual inefficiency lies. It would help
to do the same for 4.x, as that is reported to be an order of
magnitude faster than 5.x/6.x for some tasks.