[GRASS-dev] ramdisk as mapset?

David Finlayson dfinlayson at usgs.gov
Fri Jul 20 16:09:55 EDT 2007

What about running GRASS in something like Xgrid or Grid Engine?

I am about to purchase a cluster of Mac Pros for filtering and
rendering sonar data and I have been curious what has been done to
parallelize GRASS buy enterprising people. Grass isn't threaded so it
might work well on a cluster if you can keep the nodes fed with data.
Maybe some Franken-script could divide the raster data into segments
and launch a node on each segment.

I read a paper recently that documented using GRASS on GeoWalls via a
series of shell scripts that controlled the batch processing, but I
haven't looked into it in detail and can't remember the authors off
the top of my head.

Our data sets are toping 100 million points a piece and I am looking
for ways to divide and conquer the work load. Currently, I use GMT
across 8 nodes and it works well (if a bit clunky as far as job
management goes).

David