[GRASS-dev] r.in.xyz upgrade

Volker Wichmann wichmann at laserdata.at
Wed Jul 25 05:25:04 EDT 2007

Hi,

I have upgraded r.in.xyz to allow for the following aggregate functions:
- skewness
- median
- percentile
- trimmed mean

To make this possible, I created singly linked lists for all points
falling into a cell. I followed a suggestion of Glynn and used arrays
instead of pointers and stored the head of each list in a raster map
([GRASS-dev] storing pointers in CELL_TYPE maps? (from April 2007)). The
linked lists are then used to calculate the corresponding statistics
before binning the values.
So far we encountered no problems with this approach in our working
group, but I'm not sure about some details. Maybe there should be some
more checks, e.g. to prevent the index to overflow because of too many
cells.

If you are interested I'd like to share the code. Maybe it would be best
to send a copy to Hamish first?

Volker