[GRASS-dev] d.extend in gui

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Jun 8 09:18:00 EDT 2007

Michael Barton wrote:

> I¹m going through and finishing up the menus for wxgrass. This is giving me
> the opportunity to look at the current gui menu structure and revisit all
> GRASS commands in excruciating detail. But there are some advantages.
>
> I noticed that d.extend is still on the menu. This is supposed to set the
> region to match the maximum extent of all displayed maps, but it won¹t work
> without an xmon displaying a map. This makes it essentially useless in the
> context of the current GUI¹s. However, it could be a useful function if you
> could optionally give it a list of maps to use for setting the region. You
> can almost do this with g.region. You can give g.region rast= a list of
> raster maps. But this won¹t work for mixed raster and vector maps.
>
> I don¹t know what is needed to get either one of these working outside of an
> xmon environment to zoom to max extent, but it would be nice to have this
> functionality if it is not too difficult to implement.

It shouldn't be particularly complicated to make g.region accept any
combination of region=, rast=, rast3d=, vect= and zoom= (and possibly
also n=/s=/e=/w=) and to set the region to the union of all of them.
Actually, -d could also be used, and you might want an option to
include the current region as well.