[GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASSGUI] CLI working again

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri Jun 8 12:26:55 EDT 2007

Hi William,

On 6/8/07 7:15 AM, "William Kyngesburye" <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> I've been meaning to ask about wxgrass and CLI stuff - you're
> obviously working on a GUI psuedo-terminal for running commands the
> old-fashioned CLI way.  I take it there is/will be no need for
> something like 'grass-xterm-wrapper', and any place that the TclTk
> GUI used that this pseudo terminal will work in wxgrass?

This should be unnecessary for a couple of reasons. One is that the new
wxgrass is native Mac, rather than xwindows. So stuff will run from the
regular terminal. The other is the desire to include a built in terminal
feature. This already exists in the TclTk version, but most people don't
notice or take advantage of it--probably because it's kind of on the 'busy'
side.

> PS. did you ever get a chance to try my Terminal-enabled version of
> grass-xterm-wrapper?  I've been lazy in committing it, so you'd have
> to dig it out of the email, or maybe I should just commit it
> anyways.  It's in my binaries and I haven't heard of any problems yet...

I guess I didn't but I'm not sure. I assumed that it was in the cvs. I've
probably buried your email somewhere. But it must be working somehow, since
I use the terminal for everything in the TclTk/x11 version of GRASS and
don't need to use the x11 terminal. I'm compiling from your *.app setup.

Michael

> On Jun 6, 2007, at 3:12 PM, Michael Barton wrote:
>
>> I got the CLI for wxgrass working again. You can type in any
>> command (GRASS or shell).
>>
>> Non-GRASS commands will simply be passed to the shell.
>>
>> GRASS commands without arguments (e.g. g.region) will open their
>> properties dialogs for non-display commands. d.* commands without
>> arguments will add a layer to the GUI layer tree and open their
>> respective properties dialog (e.g., d.rast).
>>
>> GRASS commands with arguments (e.g., g.region rast=elevation.10m)
>> will be passed to the GRASS command shell for processing. d.*
>> commands with arguments (e.g., d.rast elevation.10m) will display
>> their results in the currently selected map display. Multiple
>> display commands separated by commas will send overlaying graphic
>> results to the current map display (e.g., d.rast elevation.
>> 10m,d.vect roads color=red).
>>
>> Michael
>>

> -----
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
> illusion caused by the passage of history."
>
> - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

phone: 480-965-6213