[GRASS-dev] GRASS_ADDON_PATH question

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jun 9 11:33:48 EDT 2007

GRASS_ADDON_PATH is used at startup, in init.sh.  All that happens is
that it is added to the shell PATH.  So setting it after GRASS starts
isn't going to work.  And there is a quirk with .grass.bashrc that it
is not loaded until after the mapset selection happens, which is also
after GRASS_ADDON_PATH is processed.

Try setting it in .bash_profile.

Note: the OSX app has a couple 'standard' addon locations:

/Library/GRASS/[version]/modules/bin
$HOME/Library/GRASS/[version]/modules/bin

so if you put scripts there you don't have to fiddle with
GRASS_ADDON_PATH.  As you might guess, /Library is available to all
users and ~/Library is available only to one user.

On Jun 9, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Michael Barton wrote:

>> From reading the docs, it appears that if you set the
>> GRASS_ADDON_PATH
> variable, you should have access to any modules or scripts stored
> therein by
> simply typing the name of the module or script. However, it doesn’t
> seem to
> work.
>
> I’ve tried setting this from the GRASS command line, .grass.bashrc
> file for
> testing, and my .grassrc6 file
>
> Nothing seems to work. If I type the name of a script residing in the
> directory I’ve set in GRASS_ADDON_PATH, I simply get a file not
> found error.
> However, if I do ls $GRASS_ADDON_PATH, I get a valid listing of the
> directory specified.
>
> What am I missing here?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people
of the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating
the ____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war