[GRASS-dev] [bug #4487] (grass) TCLTK GUI: command window freezes due to a very verbose text output

Maciek Sieczka via RT grass-bugs at intevation.de
Sat Jun 9 17:22:30 EDT 2007

Hi

Letting you know that this bug is still there. I have just experienced it with
v.distance.

Some modules prone to this bug (in general - any module which might print few
hundred lines or more quite quickly):

v.hull
nviz
v.distance
r.stats
db.select
v.db.select
v.report
v.to.db

When the bug crops out, it looks like if the given module freezed: 100% CPU
usage, module's tcl/tk window does not refresh. For real the command still
works, but it gets several times slower than if run from the terminal, which
adds to the impression that the module has freezed.

The bug is present in current 6.2 and 6.3 CVS. Using tcl/tk 8.4.12 at build
time and run time. Ubuntu Dapper 32bit, kernel 2.6.15. As well as on 2 other
machines, of which one is 64bit.

It's quite a widespread and important problem for tcl/tk GUI users. Can we do
anything about it?

Maciek