[GRASS-dev] GRASS and GDAL 1.4.1 MingW

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 12 19:59:34 EDT 2007

Benjamin Ducke wrote:

> 2. However, the README is not clear on whether GRASS first needs to be
> compiled w/o GDAL support firdst, but I assume it has to, because it
> won't be able to find GDALOpen and the configure script aborts:
..
> 3. Fair enough, BUT: with the current CVS version, it seems impossible
> to compile GRASS without GDAL support, as compilation in
> lib/vector/Vlib aborts, even if I specify --without-gdal:

GDAL is now a formal dependency. compiling without it is a bad idea.

the order should be:
1. compile & install GDAL without grass support
2. compile & install GRASS linking to the new GDAL
3. compile & install GDAL's GRASS plugin linking to the new GRASS.

> Are you all sure that including GDAL in the GRASS distribution in the
> future is not an option?

Yes. That would just make things worse.

Hamish