[GRASS-dev] Message standardization

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 07:11:14 EDT 2007

more questions to answer before we go much further....

We need to sort out parentheticals before we go much further as well:
just because something is a variable doesn't mean it sould be in
brackets, especially if it is an integral part of the sentence
structure.

To me this is way too overformatted and difficult to read:

(v.to.db/report.c)
Updating database ...
 100%
[2] categories read from map
[0] records selected from table
[0] categories read from map exist in selection from table
[1] categories read from map don't exist in selection from table
[1] records updated/inserted
[0] update/insert errors
Current attribute table links:
Vector map <roads_5m> is connected by:
layer <1> table <roads_5m> in database </home/hamish/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/> through driver <dbf> with key <cat>

<mapname> is ok,  but <1>, [0], <cat> makes it too broken up IMO.

Perhaps " with key 'cat' " might be nicer?

also:
G63> g.list vect
<vector> files available in mapset <PERMANENT>:

"vector" does not need to be in <>. Maybe if we could do syntax
highlighting in the GUI this wouldn't look so bad, but as plain
text it just doesn't work for me with the extra chars.

>From the wiki page:
 How should Errors/Warnings/Messages be formatted

    * strings < >
          o e.g. Raster map <%s> not found
    * numbers [ ]
          o e.g. Line [%d] deleted

     ? The [bracketed] parenthetical disrupts the flow of the phrase and
doesn't help enhance clarity of meaning. IMHO, this reads better without
[] brackets: "Line %d deleted." [] Brackets should be used when value is
outside of the phrase: "Unknown line [%d]". --HB

?,
Hamish