[GRASS-dev] Message standardization

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jun 13 11:22:54 EDT 2007

I agree. In fact, for this particular example, I don't think that [] or <>
add anything at all--even to map names. Single quotes would be better for
map names and variable names. I'd also remove an extraneous colon after "by"
and add the word "to" after the layer (see below). A bit of white space
wouldn't hurt.

Michael

On 6/13/07 4:11 AM, "Hamish" <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> more questions to answer before we go much further....
>
> We need to sort out parentheticals before we go much further as well:
> just because something is a variable doesn't mean it sould be in
> brackets, especially if it is an integral part of the sentence
> structure.
>

> To me this is way too overformatted and difficult to read:

### suggested reformatting ###
### changes include: removing all [] around counts, removing colon following
### "by", adding "to" following "1", replacing <> with '', adding "." at
### end.

(v.to.db/report.c)
Updating database ...
  100%

2 categories read from map
0 records selected from table
0 categories read from map exist in selection from table
1 categories read from map don't exist in selection from table
1 records updated/inserted
0 update/insert errors

Current attribute table links:

Vector map 'roads_5m' is connected by layer 1 to table 'roads_5m' in
database '/home/hamish/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/dbf/' through driver
'dbf' with key 'cat'.

> <mapname> is ok,  but <1>, [0], <cat> makes it too broken up IMO.
>
> Perhaps " with key 'cat' " might be nicer?
>

> also:
> G63> g.list vect
> <vector> files available in mapset <PERMANENT>:
>
> "vector" does not need to be in <>. Maybe if we could do syntax
> highlighting in the GUI this wouldn't look so bad, but as plain
> text it just doesn't work for me with the extra chars.
>

> From the wiki page:
>  How should Errors/Warnings/Messages be formatted
>
>     * strings < >
>           o e.g. Raster map <%s> not found
>     * numbers [ ]
>           o e.g. Line [%d] deleted
>
>      ? The [bracketed] parenthetical disrupts the flow of the phrase and
> doesn't help enhance clarity of meaning. IMHO, this reads better without
> [] brackets: "Line %d deleted." [] Brackets should be used when value is
> outside of the phrase: "Unknown line [%d]". --HB
>

> ?,
> Hamish

Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University